The Trainer Prep Course for Experienced TPRS/CI Teachers is an exhilarating, eye-opening, inspiring week of collaborative training and learning. The 5-day Trainer Prep provides a clear model and a solid foundation to design or enhance your own TCI training program, equipping you to build and strengthen your community of CI colleagues. As an added benefit, you join a growing network of teacher trainers with a common training background.
What is the Trainer Prep Course?
The Trainer Prep Course for Experienced TPRS Teachers mirrors the philosophy and practices which underlie the year-long Teacher Training course model, developed in the Netherlands by TPRS teacher/trainers Kirstin Plante and Iris Maas. Their program provides intensive, progressive, interactive, hands-on TPRS training over the course of a school year, with a strong curriculum of reading, reflection, and peer coaching in the intervals between course days. Anny Ewing and the Altamira language Learning team have been trained in the delivery of this course and adapted it to create Altamira’s Extended-Release TCI® Training.
What will you learn?
- We will address the differences between teaching a language and training teachers, delving deeper into how to coach teachers and give feedback on their practice and reflection between course days.
- Using Altamira’s Extended-Release TCI Training™ and TPRS Academy’s Teacher Training course as a model, we will discuss:
– brain principles and how they affect the things we do in training and teaching;
– the order in which we present TPRS skills and related information, and why;
– the activities we use during teacher training days;
– coaching and feedback.
- You will experience a half day of Extended-Release TCI Training™ / TPRS Academy Teacher Training to see how all the pieces fit together.
- We will address issues of resistance from teachers in training: How to talk about TPRS so people will listen!
- For those interested, we explain the TPRS Academy certification procedure for your trainees: guidelines and regulations, feedback and assessment, and how you can become certified to deliver the TPRS Academy Teacher Training Course.
N.B. All Trainer Prep Course participants are already experienced TPRS/CI teachers who have been to several TPRS/TCI workshops or conferences or completed the TPRS Academy Teacher Training Course. Therefore, the Trainer Prep Course does not explicitly train participants in the methods of TPRS/TCI. However it does offer an excellent opportunity to review and reflect on our practice.
You will receive all the materials you need for the Trainer Prep Course via our online learning environment on LearningStone. Documents will be released at the very moment you need them for the course. This is the same principle we use for the Teacher Training course, so using it during this Prep Course will get you acquainted with the platform. It prevents participants from an overload of information, and guides you through the learning process step by step.
Certificate and License
At the end of the week you will receive a certificate of completion. This certificate gives you the right to obtain a license to deliver the TPRS Academy Teacher Training. It also serves as evidence of your participation in the Trainer Prep course for your own purposes.
Who should apply?
Applicants to the Trainer Prep Course answer this description:
- You are an experienced all-round TPRS teacher.
- You have attended TPRS training workshops or national/international TPRS conferences.
- You have offered or are hoping to offer your own TPRS training workshops and presented at national/international TPRS conferences.
- You keep building your skills by reading online and sharing ideas with other CI teachers.
You want to share your success by training colleagues and other teachers.
2018 Trainer Prep Course for Experienced TPRS/CI Teachers
- June 24-28, 2018
- Time: varies daily, 4-9 hours each day
- Location: Altamira, Jamestown, RI
- Fee: $900 per person, includes 5-day training and 4 nights lodging
- Minimum 15 / Maximum 20 participants (Our presenter and site costs are fixed. If we do not meet the minimum number of participants, the course will be canceled and all registrations will be refunded or credited towards the next training.)
Location and Lodging
The 2018 course will be held at Altamira, a spacious summer house in Jamestown, RI overlooking Narragansett Bay, within easy reach of beaches, restaurants, and the historic town of Newport. Lodging is available at Altamira and is included in the workshop fee. BYO windsurfer, paddle board, yoga mat, or kayak. 😎
The application and fee information for the current course is available here. By filling out this form, you provide evidence that you are an experienced all-round TPRS/CI teacher. While a graduate degree is not required, you are capable of working and thinking at the graduate level. Altamira Language Learning or TPRS Academy may request additional information to make sure this course is a good fit for you. Once your application is accepted, your payment is due in full.
Payment: must be received within 10 days of acceptance, no later than: May 1, 2018 by check for $900 made payable to Anny Ewing and mailed to:
Altamira Language Learning
2211 Eagle Farms Road
Chester Springs, PA 19425