The Trainer Prep Course for Experienced CI-Based Language Teachers is an exhilarating, eye-opening, inspiring week of collaborative training and learning. The 5-day Trainer Prep provides a clear model and a solid foundation to design or enhance your own training program for comprehension-based communicative language teaching, equipping you to build and strengthen your community of comprehension-based communicative language teaching colleagues. As an added benefit, you join a growing network of teacher trainers with a common training background.
All Trainer Prep Course participants are already experienced comprehension-based communicative language teachers who have been to several CI-focused workshops or conferences or completed the TPRS Academy Teacher Training Course or Altamira’s Extended-Release TCI Training™. Therefore, the Trainer Prep Course does not explicitly train participants in methods for teaching with CI. However it does offer an excellent opportunity to review and reflect on our practice.
What will you learn?
We will address the differences between teaching a language to your students and training teachers to work with a comprehension-based communicative approach;
We will discuss & practice:
- brain principles and how they affect the things we do in training and teaching;
- what our trainees need to know, and how to build their knowledge and skills in a non-threatening, brain-friendly manner;
- the types of activities we might use during teacher training days, and how to develop them;
- coaching teachers and providing meaningful feedback on their practice;
- issues of resistance from teachers in training: How to listen to their concerns and respond so people will want to hear about CI-based language teaching.
You will begin to build your own teacher training model to see how all the pieces fit together.
You will receive all the materials you need for the Trainer Prep Course via our online learning environment. Documents will be released at the very moment you need them for the course.
Certificate and License
At the end of the week you will receive a certificate of completion which serves as official evidence of your participation in the Trainer Prep Course, should you need it.
Who should apply?
Applicants to the Trainer Prep Course answer this description:
- You are an experienced all-round comprehension-based communicative language teacher. We’d love to have the group reflect the growing variety of CI-based teaching methods.
- You have attended CI-focused training workshops and/or national/international TCI conferences.
- You have offered or are hoping to offer your own CI-focused training workshops and have presented or hope to present at national/international TCI conferences.
- You keep building your skills by reading online and sharing ideas with other comprehension-based communicative language teachers.
- You want to share your success by training colleagues and other teachers.
Details for 2019
Trainers: Kirstin Plante & Anny Ewing
Dates: Sunday-Thursday, June 23-27, 2019
Location: Altamira, Jamestown, RI
Fee: $950 per person, includes 5-day training and 5 nights lodging
Minimum 15 / Maximum 20 participants
Location and Lodging
The 2019 course will be held at Altamira, a spacious summer house in Jamestown, RI overlooking Narragansett Bay, within easy reach of beaches, restaurants, and the historic town of Newport. Lodging is available at Altamira and is included in the workshop fee. Meals are prepared and shared communally. BYO windsurfer, paddle board, yoga mat, running shoes, bicycle, or kayak. 😎
By filling out the application form, and emailing your CV to TrainerPrep@altamira.org, you provide evidence that you are an experienced all-round comprehension-based language teacher. Altamira Language Learning or TPRS Academy may request additional information to make sure this course is a good fit for you. Once your application is accepted, your payment is due in full.
Deadline: Rolling, until all 20 spaces are filled. (There was a waiting list last year.)
Notification: Applicants will be notified of participation within 30 days of applying.
Payment: must be received within 10 days of notification, no later than: April 1, 2019
by check for $950 made payable to Anny A. Ewing and mailed to:
Altamira Language Learning
2211 Eagle Farms Road
Chester Springs, PA 19425
If you are not yet ready to apply, please join the Trainer Prep mailing list to be kept informed about our training this year and in the future.